Apr 7, 2008

The Quest for the Perfect Cookie

Well, this evening I decided that my making chocolate chip cookies was long overdue. Since we stopped at Gregg and Amy's a couple of weeks ago I have been contemplating what combination creates the 'perfect' cookie.

There was some discussion between all of us over what makes a cookie moist and chewy vs. fluffy and crunchy. Then came the question of well, then, how do we create a cookie that is moist and fluffy?

I'm sure someone out there has already discovered this magical combination of butter and shortening but this was my quest as I set out on my little venture.

Here is the recipe (Nestle Toll House w/slight variation)I used:

2 1/4 C. all purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs
1 tsp. salt
2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 C. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 C. shortening
3/4 C. granulated sugar
3/4 C. packed brown sugar

PREHEAT: Oven to 375ยบ
COMBINE: flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto a greased/non-stick cookie sheet.
BAKE: for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet then move to wax paper or cooling rack to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

6 comments:

Max Cutrell said...

Can't report on how they came out yet...they are still warm and gooey right now. mmmmmm warm and gooey...

Mummy Grabill said...

Jenn - you are quite right, there are others before you that have undertaken this quest. In fact, Alton Brown has three variations of the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. The Chewy, The Crispy, and The Puffy (I think). I've always wanted to make a batch of all three and taste them all at once. I think you're undertaking this adventure on your own is a great idea! Nothing like trying to figure it out yourself to help you learn lots of valuable information about baking! I'll taste test . . . if you need me to. :-)

Anne C. said...

Mmmm... I need dessert now! I volunteer to help with the test baking. As I'm sure Max has told you, I was in charge of keeping the Cutrell family stocked with chocolate chip cookies, especially during the days when Max used to take eight at a time!

Unknown said...

Yas! I remember the eight at a time occasions....
I believe that more flour makes more puffy (or fluffy). More butter makes more chewy.

Unknown said...

MMmmmmmm .... cookies! Amy is also trying to find the perfect balance, not by Alton Brown (gasp!) but by trial and error! Best part is that when the first 8-10 don't come out 'just right'; I get to eat the cookie dough =D

Can anyone lend me their Weight Watchers charts?

Unknown said...

Jenn, I'm not near my recipe card right now, but for a puffy and goey cookie I think I finally found the right balance! Mine, if I recall, had 1 extra yolk and gosh... can't remember the other particulars off hand but hey were yummy! Also, I learned from other sites on the internet, in Colorado in particular, moisture is an issue and too little causes a really dry cookie. I'll share my results with you (I'll freeze some out of my next batch and we can compare textures)!