Apr 8, 2008

Working Frustrations

It's been an admittedly tough day at work today. It's now week two since implementing a new marketing program to the store managers. This new program cuts traditional advertising and forces them to focus on store/individual level 'grass roots' marketing efforts for which I feel that their resources our unlimited. Unfortunately, on our weekly conference call with the store managers this morning ALOT of frustrations were brought to the table. Being the person that I am, I took more of what was said as a personal attack against me then I actually needed to.

I find myself standing on the fence post asking myself which way it's going to be with only BIG ?? as the answer. Will I stay and try to make this work hoping that I will find some satisfaction eventually or will I try to pursue some other avenues. It was brought to my attention that my dissatisfaction with my current position could attributed to my in ability to separate myself from my work and that without learning to do that, I will only end up in the same position somewhere else.

Is that true? Will I be doomed to repeat the cycle until I learn that it's "just a job?" How do I find that balance?

As I sit here and ponder what direction it is that I will move in, I often wonder what it is that I want to do and I seem to always come back to the same things. I chose marketing because I get to help people in a way, I get to watch something being built that I help design, I get to see the end product become a success. I love the challenge of taking someone's idea and working to make it a reality. But I don't know where I belong, where I will feed my passion. Where is my calling?

5 comments:

Anne C. said...

This isn't very helpful, but everyone who feels invested in their jobs ends up needing to learn to separate themselves from their jobs a few years into their careers. For me, it was a painful experience, but I feel like I am a better team player after learning to not take things so seriously.

So, if you're the type of person who becomes invested, you may experience the same feelings at another job.

Unknown said...

Jenn, I think you've correctly identified the source of your frustration, but there is a major distinction you need to make. Are you invested in your work (your words) or in your job? They're two different things and one is mostly under your influence, the other less so. Being invested in the job is all about the big picture and overall outcomes; the other is more about specific requirements and focused deliverables.

Those of us who are invested in our work, and have a strong independent streak, generally get more satisfaction from contributing our work as a service-provider instead of as a member of a corporate team. Its a not-so-trivial matter of perspective and how the issues and parameters surrounding your contribution are managed. From the corporate perspective, both can achieve the same overall goals, products, services, success, and profitability. But from the individual perspective, there can be a world of difference and most personalities will thrive best in one environment - tricky part is finding what suits you.

Bottom line ... what you're feeling is natural for one who was a contractor until recently, and you need to decide which mode of interaction works best for you. Just finding a new employer might not be the answer!

p.s. anyone who isn't invested in what they're doing should go home

Mummy Grabill said...

Jenn - you've gotten lot's of good words of advice already. I have had a similar experience with needing to not take things personally where my work ideas are concerned. I think you are right, that it is a good lesson (and a necessary one) to learn that you can't take these things personally. I think it's particularly hard in the beginning when you are trying to prove yourself. The question of staying or leaving is a difficult one. I've seen so much good come out of situations where people stuck it out at a place where they initially had problems. My best advice is to give the job at least 6 months - set an evaluation point for yourself. This does two things - it alows you to stop stressing about it on a daily basis because you've given your self permission to evauate it at a pre-designated time, and it forces you to give it a chance to see a larger data set of experiences from which to evaluate the job. My heart is with you, though, it's very difficult when you don't know where you belong exactly.

Jenn said...

To all of you! Thank you so very much for your words of wisdom and advice. All have helped tremendously.I am so happy to have such wonderful friends/family in my life.

Thank you!

Jennifer said...

Jenn -- I read your post today and it totally goes with the photo of myself that I posted on my blog!!! Your post read as if I was the one who wrote it, and I'm reaching out right now to give you a giant e-HUG!

Personally, I've decided to try to market myself as a Common Sense Consultant to all the firms/businesses out there that just go about doing something in a stupid way, because I like to fix things and make life easier on everyone (but myself). Then, it was pointed out to me that who would hire a Common Sense Consultant, as it is an indicator that the person hiring has none him/herself? Dangnabit. Back to the drawing board...

I think you and I should team up - I'll move out to CO and photograph Takara, and we can create out a 2009 calendar that you design!

There! Problem solved! :) *HUG*